Conflict and indecision feel like chaos. To see choices, solutions, and next steps, chaos must give way to clarity. Clarityworks makes it happen.
- one-on-one consultation
- consulting to organizations
- seminars and workshops for your employees or communities
- negotiation services
- mediation services for two or more parties at once
Clarity — about what you want to do, why, and how — makes it possible to be more successful in your interactions with others and more deeply true to yourself at the same time. This gives you access to a priceless combination of strength and ease.
This principle holds true for organizations as well as for individuals.
Complex issues always have multiple components. The components must be discerned, untangled, understood.
Clarifying goals is integral to the process of achieving them. How the issues are framed can affect what goals are chosen and how the goals are framed can affect how the issues are prioritized.
Carrying out the chosen processes typically involves interactions among multiple parties.
There is no cookie-cutter approach that works in real-life situations. Strategies come and go in fads. Most of them offer limited, linear ways of thinking through non-linear problems.Clarityworks offers flexible, thoughtful insight into the realities of your unique situation.
I bring to my work not only what I have done and what I have learned, but also who I am. I have
- skills and experience in analytical thinking, problem solving and conflict resolution, including formal study of Decision Science
- a writer's conviction that clarity of thought and clarity of verbal expression go hand in hand, and an editor's ability to elicit that clarity from others
- the mindset of a mediator, motivated by the belief that comprehensive, efficient, practical solutions are attainable most of the time
- ease under public pressure and the ability to imagine other points of view — both skills that are critical for negotiation — developed through work in the performing arts
In helping people to articulate their situation, I call on my experience as a
- wordsmith - I am experienced as a writer, editor, collaborative writer, and translator
- teacher and coach - I have taught at Harvard, Vassar, SUNY Stony Brook and privately, in group settings and one-on-one
In helping people to communicate and negotiate with others, I call on my work in
- negotiation - I am a graduate of the Harvard Negotiation Project seminar on negotiation with Roger Fisher (author of Getting to Yes and founder of the Principle-Based Negotiation concept) and have been doing negotiation consulting since 1998
- mediation - I have mediated for several institutions including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Washington Heights Inwood Community Mediation program funded by the NY State Unified Court System, having trained under the auspices of the New York City Bar Association and the U.S. federal government
- group leadership - I have been a founder and/or served as chairperson of several organizations and boards.